Skip to content ↓


What kinds of Special Educational Needs (SEN) does the school make provision for?

At Broadmeadow Infant and Nursery School we make provision for pupils who have any identified SEN need from within those listed below.  We know that some pupils will have difficulties in more than one of these areas and we will always do our best to meet their needs.  This information acts as a guide, but the things we do will vary and actual support will be based on the specific needs of each pupil.

Communication and interaction

Children who have difficulty communicating with others because they:

  • find it hard to make themselves understood or to say what they want to.
  • do not always understand what is being said.
  • find interacting with others difficult.
  • are on the Autistic spectrum.

Cognition and learning

Children who learn at a slower pace than their peers because they:

  • take longer to learn important skills.
  • find it difficult to remember things such as the important words for reading, and times tables.
  • find it hard to understand how to use letter sounds to read and spell words.
  • may need more time to think about their answers.
  • may have an associated difficulty, e.g. issues with mobility and communication, physical disability or sensory impairment
  • may have a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD), e.g. dyslexia, dyscalculia or dyspraxia.

Social, mental and emotional health

Children who find it difficult to manage their emotions and behaviour in a way that affects their daily life, for instance they may find it challenging to:

  • follow rules set by others
  • sit still for a long time
  • listen to and follow instructions
  • understand how they, or others, are feeling
  • make friends
  • deal with their difficulties in a way that does not cause harm to themselves or others.
  • take responsibility for the things they do

This could also include children suffering from anxiety or depression, those who have Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD) or Attachment Disorder.

Sensory and/or physical

Children who have a disability that means adaptations and/or support are needed to enable them to fully access the school/learning environment.  

This may include:

  • hearing and/or visual difficulties,
  • physical disabilities
  • motor skills issues
  • medical needs

What type of provision does the school make?

At Broadmeadow class teachers have responsibility to ensure that all children are supported within lessons using a variety of teaching and learning strategies appropriate to their needs.  This means that activities are planned according to the level the child is working at.  This universal approach is known as Quality First Teaching. 

For your child, this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class.  This may include things like using more practical learning, adapting their physical environment, providing appropriate/specific resources, making changes to teaching styles or varying the level of adult support.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or advisory staff) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have identified any gap(s) your child has in their understanding/learning and the extra support needed to help them make the best possible progress.

For those children for whom Quality First Teaching isn’t enough, targeted support strategies can be used, which may include:

  • extra support within the classroom with specific targets to help him/her make more progress.
  • small group work outside the classroom focussing on specific targets.
  • For children who have a high level of need, require an individualised programme and/or have an Education and Health Care Plan (EHC) other strategies may include:
  • acting on advice from other professionals or specialist staff, e.g. SENCO or other external agencies (see below for further information).
  • 1:1 booster or tuition session

How does the school identify and assess Special Educational Needs?

In school we use a variety of different ways to assess whether a child has SEN. 

These include:

  • observations
  • school based test results
  • information from parents and carers
  • information from the child
  • specialised assessments carried out by members of the school’s support services / SENCO.
  • information from previous schools or settings
  • results from end of key stage assessments
  • discussions with adults who work with the child
  • information/referrals from doctors, paediatricians or other medical personnel.

How does the school know how much progress is being made by pupils with SEN?

All children’s progress, including those with SEN, is continually monitored by his/her class teacher, the SENCO, and senior management using the school’s assessment tracking system.  Pupils are assessed regularly using teacher marking, observations, questioning and more formal assessments such as curriculum tests and standardised tests.

In addition, for children with SEN, we also set individual targets that are reviewed at least three times a year by relevant staff together with parents/carers (i.e. review meetings/ parents’ evenings in the Autumn, Spring and Summer Terms).  This helps the school to monitor how well interventions are working.

How are parents of children with SEN involved in the education of their child?

At Broadmeadow, we value our partnership with parents and always try to ensure that we are approachable and available as much as possible.  Our school aims to regularly involve parents in the education of their child through a variety of different ways which may include:

  • regular meetings with the SENCO and class teacher (and outside agencies, as appropriate)
  • target setting (through personal plans) so that parents can see what their child is working on next
  • regular curriculum information to inform parents of what will be going on during the term
  • information on the school website
  • parents’ evenings
  • INSPIRE workshops
  • parents’ views at review meetings
  • home/school books to share important information

How are pupils with SEN involved in their own education?

We aim to involve all children at our school in their own education.
For children with SEN we use a variety of strategies to achieve this, which include:

  • involving children in setting and reviewing their learning targets at an appropriate level for their age
  • having a range of education resources available for the child to use and select as appropriate, e.g. visual timetables, overlays, coloured exercise books, pencil grips, writing boards, picture/communication cards, fidget toys etc. 
  • providing opportunities to develop new skills through out of hours or lunchtime activities or becoming monitors to help younger children
  • ensuring the child is aware of who they can go to for help.

How does the school support pupils with SEN during transition?

We aim to make times of transition as easy as possible for the children in our school. 
When starting school in Reception or moving from Broadmeadow Nursery to the Infants we aim to:

  • have a parents Induction meeting and provide relevant information
  • visit your child’s pre-school setting to meet your child in a familiar environment.(If your child is not attending our nursery)
  • invite you and your child to attend a “ Stay and Play” session at school in their new classroom to meet their new teachers
  • organise time for relevant staff to visit nurseries and previous settings to observe children and liaise with key staff
  • organise transition meetings with staff, parents and any relevant agency support workers eg. the school nurse, health visitors etc.
  • ensure all paperwork regarding your child is given to their new teacher/key staff
  • plan together for a gradual induction programme for your child for when they start school, if appropriate  
  • Some of these strategies are then repeated and/or adapted to be used at the point children move from one year group to another within the Infant School.
  •  When moving to the Juniors from Broadmeadow Infant and Nursery School we aim to:
  • organise pre-visits for the children to look around the school, see where to line up, visit their new classroom , meet their new teacher and any other teaching staff. 
  • have designated swap over mornings for the whole class to come and spend time with their new teacher.
  • hold a Junior school assembly led by the Head Teacher of the Juniors
  • provide time for Year 2 and Year 3 staff to meet and discuss any particular children’s needs. 
  • provide time for Mrs Verhofstad the Infant SENCO and Mrs Fellows the Junior SENCO to meet.
  • provide joint parents’ meetings with both SENCOs
  • ensure all files and paperwork relating to children with SEN is passed on to the Junior School.

What can I do if I am not happy with the provision for my child?

A good first port of call is to speak to your child’s class teacher and/or the SENCO.  You may also contact the Head Teacher, SEN governor or Chair of governors by telephoning the school office or writing a letter marked for their attention.

Our school and governing body take complaints seriously, will act upon these on an individual basis, and do everything they can to resolve the issue.

What is the role of our SEN governor?
In our school, we have a governor who is responsible for special educational needs, Ms Nina Makrinov.  Her job is to liaise with the SENCO throughout the year, ensuring that all children with SEN get the support they need to access all aspects of learning and to participate fully in the life of the school. She makes visits to see the range of provision in school and meet the children.

Ms Makrinov is the link between the governing body and school in relation to pupils with SEN, meaning that any concerns over SEN provision can be raised, discussed and resolved.  In addition, a report is provided by the SENCO several times over the year for the Head Teacher to share at governing body meetings.

Who would I speak to at Broadmeadow if I wanted to know more about Special Educational Needs (SEN)?

If you have any concerns about your child’s progress at school, you could initially talk to your child’s class teacher.

We also have Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator at Broadmeadow (known as the SENCO). 
The SENCO’s role involves:


  • co-ordinating all the support for children with SEN or disabilities to make sure all pupils get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • monitoring children’s progress and evaluating the impact of any support and interventions.
  • ensuring that you are involved in supporting your child’s learning, informed about the support your child is getting, and involved in the process of reviewing their progress.
  • liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. the Educational Psychologist, Pupil and School Support, Speech and Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy etc.
  • providing support for staff in school, as well as organising appropriate and relevant training and resources.
  • developing and maintaining the school’s SEN policy to ensure compliance with statutory guidance from the new Code of Practice.
  • liaising with the School Governor for SEN, Mrs Hussey.

Mrs Verhofstad is the SENCO for Broadmeadow Infant and Nursery School. The best ways to contact her are by telephoning the school on 0121 464 4266, sending a message via your child’s class teacher or coming to the school office to make an appointment. 

Who are the support services who can help parents with pupils with special educational needs?

1. The Birmingham Local Authority’s Local Offer can be found at, where parents can find advice and information about the services available for their child or young person with a Special Educational Need or Disability (SEND).

2. There are other specialised organisations that may be able to help: your GP, Autism West Midlands, Edward’s Trust (bereavement counselling), British Dyslexia Association, Birmingham Healthy Minds and the Dyspraxia Foundation.